Friday, March 23, 2007

Thursday Recap

#1 Kansas 61
#4 Southern Illinois 58

I underestimated Southern Illinois' defense. So Ill managed to slow the pace down and gave Kansas a tough game. Even so, they got a lot of lucky bounces and Kansas played a much better game, despite the score. Even though I got the winner right, I'd say I got this prediction wrong because I thought Kansas would win easily. UCLA will probably be a similar game, but SIU pretty much played the game of their lives.

#2 UCLA 64
#3 Pittsburgh 58

The game went pretty much as expected. A slow game, Gray played pretty well, but UCLA's backcourt was too much. Pitt was not a spectacular 3 seed. Kansas will be a much tougher game for UCLA. Collins, Chalmers and Robinson are just as quick and just as good as Collison and Afflalo.

#1 Ohio State 85
#2 Tennessee 84

I really wonder how many lives this OSU team has. They should have lost to Xavier, but escaped. They should have lost to Tennessee, but they escaped. This time, Tennessee's cold streak in the 2nd half coupled with Ron Lewis being on fire, and a lot of friendly calls, to add up to a meager 1 point victory. To their credit, they adjusted well to stop UT from getting all the easy buckets they got in the first half, and even though Oden had a pretty poor game, his block at the end was a fitting end. I'm just not sure that OSU's luck will keep going against Memphis.

#2 Memphis 65
#3 Texas A&M 64

I have been so wrong about Memphis. I thought they were overrated all year long because they have played only 6 power conference games. Clearly, that meant nothing. They cruised to a 16-0 record in the C-USA, and won their tournament easily. I really need to stop doubting them. They are tremendous defensively, incredibly athletic and are out to prove everyone like me wrong. I think they will be playing next weekend.

Good games on the whole last night. I only hope they are as good tonight.

No comments: